Railsplitter Tennis Goes The Distance In 5-4 Win Over Anderson
March 7, 2011
HARROGATE, TN -- It came down to the last singles flight, but the Lincoln Memorial University men's tennis team pulled out a 5-4 South Atlantic Conference win over Anderson University Monday evening on the LMU Tennis Courts.
LMU improves to 4-3 on the season and 1-0 in the SAC in a marathon match that lasted over four and a half hours and saw the recently-installed court lights used for the first time ever.
LMU won all three doubles flights to give LMU a 3-0 lead going into the singles. Philipp Hoffmann and Tom Goossens won their flight 8-2 while Alexey Minevskiy and Marcelo Alvim pulled out the win at number two doubles in the tie-breaker 9-8 (7-1). At number three doubles Stefan Hall and Michael Koenen won 8-6.
In singles, Hoffmann won the number one flight 7-5, 6-2. Anderson won at numbers two, three, four and six to tie the score at 4-4. Tom Goossens broke the tie with his 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (7-2) win to give LMU the victory.
LMU will host Wingate this Saturday at 11 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Anderson vs Lincoln Memorial
Mar 07, 2011 at Harrogate, TN
(LMU Tennis Complex)
#47 Lincoln Memorial 5, #24 Anderson 4
1. Philipp Hoffmann (LMU) def. Stan Atema (AUM) 7-5, 6-2
2. Deni Mehagic (AUM) def. Alexey Minevskiy (LMU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Ilya Zakharov (AUM) def. Marcelo Alvim (LMU) 6-0, 6-4
4. Daniel Gonzalez (AUM) def. Michael Koenen (LMU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Tom Goossens (LMU) def. Trey Halbauer (AUM) 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (7-2)
6. Loic Ambrose (AUM) def. Stefan Hall (LMU) 7-5, 7-6
1. #29 Philipp Hoffmann/Tom Goossens (LMU) def. Stan Atema/Daniel Gonzalez (AUM) 8-2
2. Alexey Minevskiy/Marcelo Alvim (LMU) def. Deni Mehagic/Loic Ambrose (AUM) 9-8 (7-1)
3. Stefan Hall/Michael Koenen (LMU) def. Trey Halbauer/Ilya Zakharov (AUM) 8-6
Anderson 5-3, 3-1 SAC; National ranking #24; Regional ranking #12
Lincoln Memorial 4-3, 1-0 SAC; National ranking #47; Regional ranking #9