Railsplitters Stunned By Overtime Goal, Fall To Tusculum College 3-2
October 18, 2011
HARROGATE, TN -- With three minutes remaining in the first overtime period, Tusculum College snatched a victory over the Railsplitters with a goal by Roberto Pimental. This gave Lincoln Memorial their first loss in the South Atlantic Conference as the Railsplitters drop to 5-1 in the SAC and 6-4-3 overall.
Tusculum gained an early lead in the match as Carter Dorton scored in the 10th minute as his attempted cross deflected off a defender for the Railsplitters and landed in the net.
Pinto gave the Railsplitters the 2-1 lead in the 59th minute as he scored off a perfectly-placed chip pass from Nicholas Muth.
The Pioneers answered in the 71st minute with a chip shot goal by Javier Portillo to tie the game at two apiece.
Regulation would conclude in a tie and the two teams headed to overtime. In the overtime, following a foul by the Railsplitters just outside of the box, Roberto Pimental ended the game with a golden goal in the 97th minute, as his kick caught the upper left corner and snuck in to give the Pioneers the 3-2 upset.
The Railsplitters will look to rebound from their tough loss as they host South Atlantic Conference opponent Anderson University in their regular season home finale. That game is scheduled for a 4 p.m. start at Lincoln Memorial.
Tusculum (6-7-1, 5-1 SAC) vs. Lincoln Memorial (6-4-3, 5-1 SAC)
Date: Oct 18, 2011 Attendance: 175
Weather: Sunny, mid 70s
Goals by period 1 2 OT Tot
Tusculum................ 1 1 1 - 3
Lincoln Memorial.... 1 1 0 - 2
1. 10:36 TCM Carter Dorton (1) (Pontus Rosen) - Attempted a cross, deflected off LMU defender in goal
2. 24:02 LMU Mario Pinto (11) (Callum Home) - Following foul,Home tapped ball to Pinto who kicked past diving goalie
3. 59:19 LMU Mario Pinto (12) (Nicholas Muth) - Chip pass from Muth, leaping kick past keeper
4. 71:21 TCM Javier Portillo (4) (Roberto Pimentel) - Chip shot to back left corner.
5. 97:24 TCM Roberto Pimentel (3) (unassisted) - Caught the upper corner in the back from 10 yards out.
Shots: Tusculum 13, Lincoln Memorial 15
Saves: Tusculum 9 (Andy Goellner 9), Lincoln Memorial 3 (Michael Watkins 3)