Railsplitters Fall In Fight With Tigers
March 7, 2009
HARROGATE, TN - Although the Railsplitters made a strong run, it wasn't enough to come away with a victory in Saturday's 6-3 non-conference loss to the University of West Alabama.
The last time the two former Gulf South Conference opponents met was nearly three years ago to the day in 2006 when LMU came away with a 5-0 win over the Tigers on March 11 to improve to 6-3 on the season. That wasn't the case on Saturday.
The match started off looking as though it was be close throughout. At no. 1 doubles, LMU's Tom Goossens and Hannes Ganss narrowly defeated West Alabama's James Gardner and Lucas Cruz 8-7 to give the Railsplitters their first win of the day. LMU wasn't as lucky in the no. 2 and no. 3 doubles matches. Bastian Guenther and Zack Jones lost an 8-4 decision to UWA's Renat Shay Khelislamov and Benny Delgado Rochas, while teammates Andras Pauko and Gabor Heredi-Szabo also lost 8-4 to the Tigers Carlin Tighe and Lucas Nunes to put LMU down 2-1 going into singles play.
In singles action, LMU wasn't able to make up any gound. Sophomore Bastian Guenther lost in no. 1 singles to UWA's James Gardner 6-0, 5-7, 4-6, while teammate Hannes Ganss won in three sets in no. 2 singles over the Tiger's Renat Shaykhelislamov 0-6, 6-4, 6-1. LMU's Andras Pauko, Tom Goossens and Gabor Heredi-Szabo also lost in the no. 3, no. 4 and the no. 5 positions, with Pauko falling to Benny Delgado Rochas 3-6, Goossens going down 3-6, 4-6 to Danish Ahmad and Szabo losing to the Tigers Lucas Cruz 1-6, 2-6.
LMU's final victory of the afternoon came when junior Zack Jones won a marathon battle with West Alabama's Carlin Tighe. After losing the opening set 1-6, Jones battled back to take a 6-2 victory in the second set and a narrow 10-5 decision in the tie-breaker for the win.
Now 1-4 on the year, the Railsplitters have until Wednesday to regroup for their non-conference match with the Buffalos of Milligan College. The LMU men and women will both play Milligan on Thursday at 2:00 p.m. in Milligan College, Tennessee.
Tennis Match Results
West Alabama vs Lincoln Memorial
Mar 07, 2009 at Harrogate, TN
West Alabama 6, Lincoln Memorial 3
1. James Gardner (UWA) def. Bastian Guenther (LMU) 0-6, 7-5, 6-4
2. Hannes Ganss (LMU) def. Renat Shaykhelislamov (UWA) 0-6, 6-4, 6-1
3. Benny Delgado Rochas (UWA) def. Andras Pauko (LMU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Danish Ahmad (UWA) def. Tom Goossens (LMU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Lucas Cruz (UWA) def. Gabor Heredi-Szabo (LMU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Zack Jones (LMU) def. Carlin Tighe (UWA) 1-6, 6-2, 10-5
1. Tom Goossens/Hannes Ganss (LMU) def. James Gardner/Lucas Cruz (UWA) 8-7
2. Renat Shaykhelislamov/Benny Delgado Rochas (UWA) def. Bastian Guenther/Zack Jones (LMU) 8-4
3. Carlin Tighe/Lucas Nunez (UWA) def. Andras Pauko/Gabor Heredi-Szabo (LMU) 8-4
Lincoln Memorial 1-4