Railsplitters Roll Over Patriots
March 1, 2010
WILLIAMSBURG, KY - The Lincoln Memorial University men's tennis team added to its best start in recent memory Monday afternoon when the Railsplitters traveled to Williamsburg, Kentucky and knocked off University of the Cumberlands 9-0 to improve to 5-0 on the year.
The win over the Patriots is the Railsplitters' third win in the past four days and is their best start since the 2006 season when the LMU men also started the year with a 5-0 record.
LMU opened the afternoon with three wins in doubles play. Tom Goossens and Philipp Hoffman defeated the Patriots Higor Silva and Oscar Pantoja 8-3 at the no. 1 doubles position while teammates Hannes Ganss and Bastian Guenther also knocked off Andrew Hill and John Hill at no. 2 doubles 8-3. LMU made a sweep of the doubles action when Zack Jones and Gabor Szabo defeated the University of the Cumberlands' Jerrid Neeley and John Carmack 8-3 at the no. 3 position.
In singles play, Hannes Ganss defeated Higor Silva in straight sets 6-4, 6-3 in no. 1 singles while countryman and teammate Philipp Hoffman rolled over the Patriots Oscar Pantoja 6-2, 6-4 in no. 2 singles.
Railsplitter Bastian Guenther had no problem winning in no. 3 singles 6-0, 6-0 over Jarrid Neeley while LMU senior Andras Pauko defeated Andrew Hill 6-2, 6-2 in the no. 4 position. Tom Goossens made quick work of opponent John Hill in the no. 5 singles match by posting 6-1, 6-0 victories while senior Zack Jones was victorious over Steffan Crave 6-3, 6-1.
The Railsplitters will try to achieve their best start since the turn of the century and the Charlie Poteat coaching era when they travel to Barbourville, Kentucky on Wednesday afternoon to take on the Bulldogs of Union College. LMU and Union were already to have played on February 23 but that match was postponed due to snowy conditions. Wednesday's meeting with the Bulldogs will get underway at 2:00 p.m. on the Union College campus.
Tennis Match Results
Lincoln Memorial vs Cumberlands
Mar 01, 2010 at Williamsburg, KY
Lincoln Memorial 9, Cumberlands 0
1. Hannes Ganss (LMU) def. Higor Silva (UC-KY) 6-4, 6-3
2. Philipp Hoffmann (LMU) def. Oscar Panteja (UC-KY) 6-2, 6-4
3. Bastian Guenther (LMU) def. Jerrid Neely (UC-KY) 6-0, 6-0
4. Andras Pauko (LMU) def. Andrew Hill (UC-KY) 6-2, 6-2
5. Tom Goossens (LMU) def. John Hill (UC-KY) 6-1, 6-0
6. Zack Jones (LMU) def. Steffan Crowe (UC-KY) 6-3, 6-1
1. Tom Goossens/Philipp Hoffmann (LMU) def. Higor Silva/Oscar Panteja (UC-KY) 8-3
2. Hannes Ganss/Bastian Guenther (LMU) def. John Hill/Andrew Hill (UC-KY) 8-3
3. Zack Jones/Gabor Heredi-Szabo (LMU) def. Jerrid Neely/John Carmack (UC-KY) 8-3
Lincoln Memorial 5-0