Railsplitters Have Little Trouble With Georgetown College
April 16, 2010
HARROGATE, TN - The no. 12 regionally ranked Lincoln Memorial University men's tennis team improved to 16-1 Friday afternoon when it defeated NAIA opponent Georgetown College at home 7-2 to set the stage for its final regular season match of the on Saturday against Lee University.
The Railsplitters swept doubles play to open the match, with Philipp Hoffmann and Tom Goossens winning 8-3 in the no. 1 double match, Bastian Guenther and Hannes Ganss winning 8-0 at no. 2 doubles and Gabor Heredi-Szabo and Zack Jones winning an 8-6 decision in the no. 3 doubles position.
Singles victories came less easy for the LMU men who scored wins at no. 1, 2, 5 and 6 singles positions while losing at no. 3 and no. 4 against the Tigers.
Now 16-1 overall and having already won the 2010 South Atlantic Conference regular season title along with the right to represent the no.1 seed in the upcoming 2010 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference Tournament, the Railsplitters have only Lee University remaining on the regular season schedule before turning all their focus to next week's conference tournament in Rock Hill, South Carolina.
The Railsplitters will host the Flames of Lee University Saturday afternoon at 1:00 p.m. following the Flames match with Georgetown which will take place earlier in the day. Should the LMU men emerge victorious, they would possess the best winning percentage by an LMU men's team at the end of the regular season in recorded records. Saturday's match is free to the public.
Lincoln Memorial 7, Georgetown (Ky.) 2
Apr 16, 2010 at Harrogate, TN
1. Philipp Hoffmann (LMU) def. Miguel Reyes (GC) 6-3, 6-4
2. Hannes Ganss (LMU) def. Paul Ganev (GC) 6-2, 6-4
3. Benjamin Aspillaga (GC) def. Bastian Guenther (LMU) 6-4, 3-6, 10-6
4. Carlos del Valle (GC) def. Gabor Heredi-Szabo (LMU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Andras Pauko (LMU) def. Ross Phelps (GC) 7-5, 6-4
6. Tom Goossens (LMU) def. Zach Thomas (GC) 6-1, 6-2
1. #25 Philipp Hoffmann/Tom Goossens (LMU) def. Miguel Reyes/Benjamin Aspillaga (GC) 8-3
2. Bastian Guenther/Hannes Ganss (LMU) def. Paul Ganev/Ross Phelps (GC) 8-0
3. Gabor Heredi-Szabo/Zack Jones (LMU) def. Carlos del Valle/Zach Thomas (GC) 8-6
Georgetown (Ky.) 6-11
Lincoln Memorial 16-1; Regional ranking #12
LMU ranked 12th in Southeast Region by ITA and NCAA