Men's Tennis Advances To SAC Tournament Final With 5-0 Victory Over Mars Hill
April 23, 2010
Courtesy of the South Atlantic Conference
ROCK HILL, SC -- Top seed Lincoln Memorial University advanced to the 2010 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference Men’s Tennis championship match, defeating #4 Mars Hill, 5-0.
LMU went 3-0 in the doubles matches. Philipp Hoffman combined with Tom Goossens to record the first point of the match at No. 1 doubles, defeating Mars Hill’s Alessandro du Besse and Koeche Smith, 8-4. Zack Jones and Gabor Heredi-Szabo put the Railsplitters up 2-0 with their victory at No. 3 doubles, topping Bradley Bassinger and Carlos Oyaga, 8-4. Hannes Ganss and Bastian Guenther completed the sweep for Lincoln Memorial at doubles No. 2, picking up a 9-7 victory over Stevan Stankovic and Lucas Simm.
In singles competition, the Railsplitters took their fourth point as Ganss topped du Besse on court No. 1 in straight sets, 7-5, 6-4. Lincoln Memorial completed the match on court No. 2 as Hoffman defeated Smith in a tightly contested match, as the SAC freshman of the year won, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4).
Mars Hill most likely ends the season with a 7-11 record with their semifinal loss.
Lions Head Coach Jarod Camerota had the following to say after the match. “I’m proud of my guys for battling today. I couldn’t ask for more from them. LMU played a great match today, and we got beat.”
Lincoln Memorial advances to the 2010 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference men’s tennis championship match against #2 Wingate, held at the Rock Hill Tennis Club tomorrow afternoon at noon. The Bulldogs advanced to the SAC Tournament finals with a 5-4 win over No. 6 seed Brevard in the semifinals on Friday.
“The Railsplitter men have just performed all season and today’s opponent was a true test,” commented LMU Head Coach Benny Collins. “I think Mars Hill was a true test and now the men are in position to close out tomorrow if they focus and play like they are capable of.”
2010 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference Men’s Tennis Tournament
Tennis Match Results
Lincoln Memorial vs Mars Hill
Apr 23, 2010 at Rock Hill, S.C. (Rock Hill Tennis Center)
#1 Lincoln Memorial 5, #4 Mars Hill 1
1. Hannes Ganss (LMU) def. Alessandro du Besse (MHCM) 7-5, 6-4
2. Philipp Hoffmann (LMU) def. Koeche Smith (MHCM) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Bastian Guenther (LMU) vs. Lucas Simm (MHCM) 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
4. Gabor Heredi-Szabo (LMU) vs. Stevan Stankovic (MHCM) 6-3, 4-6, unfinished
5. Carlos Oyaga (MHCM) def. Andras Pauko (LMU) 7-5, 3-2
6. Tom Goossens (LMU) vs. Bradley Bassinger (MHCM) unfinished
1. Philipp Hoffmann/Tom Goossens (LMU) def. Alessandro du Besse/Koeche Smith (MHCM) 8-4
2. Hannes Ganss/Bastian Guenther (LMU) def. Stevan Stankovic/Lucas Simm (MHCM) 9-7
3. Zack Jones/Gabor Heredi-Szabo (LMU) def. Bradley Bassinger/Carlos Oyaga (MHCM) 8-4
#4 Mars Hill 7-11
#1 Lincoln Memorial 18-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,2)
2010 Food Lion South Atlantic Conference Men's Tennis Tournament Semifinals
Hoffman clinches match at No. 2 singles
LMU will play in championship match tomorrow afternoon at noon
LMU ranked 12th in NCAA Southeast Region by NCAA & ITA